The Best Answer to All our "Why's"


Remember the time(s) when you were little, and you didn’t get what you wanted?

You’d whine and whine, and ask ‘why.’ (Maybe I’m the only one who did that?)

And the only answer you’d get was, “Because I said so.”

Or this one, which was worse: “Because I’m the Mom.”



I’m wading through the pages of Leviticus right now. Over fifty times in this book, God gives one reason for all the things they were to do and not to do: “I am the LORD your God.”

He was their God; they were to obey because He said so.

That was the only reason they were given.

But that reason was supposed to be enough.

When my mom said I couldn’t have something simply because she said so, and because she was “the Mom,” I had to go on with life. That meant “no more questions” and “don’t ask again.”  My part was to obey and accept that she knew the bigger reason.

I didn’t like being told “no.”
I didn’t like not having what I wanted or having to do what I didn’t want to do.
I didn’t like that she wasn’t telling me the real reason.

But if I had been “the Mom,” I’m pretty sure I would have said the same thing to myself. I would have made the same restrictions or told myself to do whatever it was she was wanting me to do.

But, at the time, just knowing she was “Mom” was supposed to be reason enough.

If you or I were God, and if we had the perspective He has, I’m pretty sure we would be orchestrating the world and our particular lives the way He does.

Because life isn’t about what we want or don’t want.

There’s a bigger picture. There’s a bigger reason behind our "why's" that we couldn't comprehend.

Our lives are being orchestrated by the One who says: “I am the LORD your God.”

“Walk this way,” He tells us. 

“Because I said so.”  


For my thoughts are not your thoughts, 
neither are your ways my ways, said the LORD.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, 
so are my ways higher than your ways,
and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8,9)

Image courtesy of Stuart Miles/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Comments

Popular Posts