Truth or Lie #4: God is Enough



Truth:    God is enough.

Lie:         I have felt needs that are outside of God’s realm to meet.
                I need to supplement Who He is with my own “comfort foods.”

We’ve all been there (maybe many times) – times when life just “isn’t our thing.”

At times like these, God seems distant. Uncaring. Distracted.

And maybe . . . not enough.

So we turn to “comfort foods.”
Coffee.
Shopping.
A pedicure.
A good book.
A phone call with a friend.
A drive.

We say, “I need God, plus __________.”

And we start supplementing our lives with things less than Him.

And, in reality . . .  less than enough.

These “comfort foods” may boost our spirits. Help us feel better for a time. Soothe an ache. Or get our mind off our problems.

But they will never be enough.


If there was one person who had enough, it was King David.

Not because he was a king, lived in a palace, won wars, or was given amazing promises.

He had enough, because of Who his Shepherd was.

He said, “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.” (Psalm 23:1)

David never suggested that his possessions or his accomplishments were enough.
He never listed a few “comfort foods” to try.
He didn’t supplement life with things that made him feel better.

                His Shepherd was Enough.
                His God was Adequate.

                So nothing was missing in his life.

We’re studying the Jehovah Names of God in our Ladies’ Bible Study, and we’re seeing these characteristics of Who He is clearly portrayed in the way God cares for us every day.

·         As Jehovah-Rohi (The LORD our Shepherd), His life work is to care for us on a daily basis.

“The LORD is my shepherd.”

·         As Jehovah-Jireh (The LORD our Provider), He supplies all our needs.

“I shall not want.”

·         As Jehovah-Shalom (The LORD our Peace), He gives true, lasting peace.

“He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. 
He leadeth me beside the still waters.”

·         As Jehovah-Rapha (The LORD our Healer), He takes hurts of every kind and heals.

“He restoreth my soul.”

·         As Jehovah-Tsidknenu (The LORD our Righteousness), He has given us the right to stand before Him in prayer and in eternity.

“He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.”

·         As Jehovah-Shammah (The LORD who is Present), He assures us we are never alone.

“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”

·         As Jehovah-Nissi (The LORD our Banner), He has provided the victory.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; 
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.”

The truth is . . . A God Who is all these things and more . . . is more than ENOUGH.

“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; 
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”

A man completely satisfied in the care of his Shepherd said this.

                His Shepherd was Enough.
                His God was Adequate.

                So nothing was missing in his life.

When we long for the things we love in life to be enough and find them lacking, let’s turn our hearts toward the God who truly is enough and say by faith, “I have everything I need in my Adequate God.”


[Click here to listen to the lessons on the Jehovah Names of God.]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Part 4 in a series, called “Truth or Lie,” based on the book, Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

In the final chapter, Nancy highlights 22 freeing truths that are essential to our Christian lives.

Come back each Monday (or subscribe to this blog) as we look together at these 22 truths one-by-one. 

[And feel free to share your own thoughts below!]

Comments

Popular Posts