When Everything Else Fails



The story is told of a woman who was saved later in life. Wanting to make up for lost time, she committed entire portions of Scripture to memory. Books of the Bible. Epistles. Favorite passages.

She hid God’s Word deep in her heart.

As the years passed by and her mind and eyes grew dim, many of these scriptures slipped from her memory.

Finally, only one verse remained. A verse she recited to every person who came to visit.


“I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him.” (2 Timothy 1:12)


As her final years continued to wane, part of this passage slipped away as well.

All that remained in her mind and on her lips were the words: “He is able to keep that which I have committed unto him.”

On her death bed, only one word remained. For the last time, it escaped her lips with her final breath.

“. . . Him.”




At the end of his life, John Newton said,

“My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things: that I am a great sinner and that Christ is a great Savior!”


Everything else will fail one day.

The only One who never will is “. . .Him.”



“Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.” Psalm 90:2



Comments

  1. Love this! 2 Timothy 1:12 was the verse I listed as my life verse when I graduated from Moody. It becomes more meaningful by the day as my focus remains on Him and Him alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as we learn how dependent we are, "Him" becomes the best word in the Bible. Thanks, Violet!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Bethany! That verse brings the hymn to mind, with that verse as the lyrics. I find that to be true. God never fails. And I might forget details from college classes I took 35 years ago, but I remember Scripture. (Now if I could just get my 20-something adult kids to memorize Scripture like they have lines from movies!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Lynn! I'm thankful I was raised memorizing Scripture but still have to work at it. We definitely could use His Word floating around in our minds and fixed in our hearts more than it is! Col. 3:16

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts