When God Asks 'Why?'



A few months ago, I found myself pouring my heart out before the Lord in a way I hadn't done in a very long time. A long list of trying circumstances and the question “Why?” characterized that prayer.

But as I prayed, I sensed God asking me the same thing.

Why?

“Lord, I’ve been working so hard!”

His answer thundered in a quiet rebuke: Why? I clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven. Will I not much more clothe you? (Matthew 6:29)

“Lord, I’m exhausted.”

Again, Why? Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)

“Lord, I want to fix him/her.”

Why? And like His words to Peter, “What is that to you? You follow me.” (John 21:22)

“Lord, I can’t do this task You’ve given me.”

Why? Your help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth. (Psalm 124:8)





That day I learned a valuable lesson about prayer and faith.

For every complaint we pour out before the Lord, His Word holds a promise, laced with God’s character that beckons us to trust.

When your prayers become filled with “me” and unbelief, let His answer be, “Why?”

And trust a promise.



“Trust in Him at all times, you people;
Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.” (Psalm 62:8)


Comments

  1. What I love most is that the Lord delights in our pouring out our hearts to Him. Too often my tendency is to pour out my complaints to others first, or to mull over them continually trying to figure out a solution. No promise found there - only frustration. But what a refuge and balm it is to pour out everything to Him, resting and trusting in who He is. I have been dwelling on His attribute of goodness these past few months and have been so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! Thank you, Violet. The truth of His goodness, even when things are difficult, is a comfort. Thank you for sharing. Love and prayers for you, Bethany

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts