If God Were to Answer Your Phone Call

Sometimes life throws curve balls, hands us difficult decisions, and asks us to deal with complicated relationships. We want to respond Biblically and choose wisely. We search the Scriptures. We pray.

But if you're like me, sometimes you just want to pick up the phone and let God tell you what to do.


I've recently concluded that if I could pick up my phone and ask God for advice, He would always give me the same answer.

Whether it's a major decision, a tough relationship, the need to respond properly to the various curve balls that come, His answer would always be the same.

I believe this, because so much of Scripture is centered around this answer.

Those who were under the law knew what God wanted of them. He spelled it out plainly in several books of the Old Testament.

Those of us who are no longer under the law are told how all those books of rules can be summarized (Romans 13:19):

  • Love God with all your heart and soul and mind and strength. This command summarizes the first five commandments.
  • Love your neighbor as yourself. This command summarizes the last five commandments.
Everything God expected of His people came down to these two commands.

If this is all God really asks of us, couldn't we apply this desire of His to every area of our lives?

If I had a major decision to make and I called God on the phone, I think His answer would be:
  • Which decision would increase your love for Me and help you grow in your love for others?
If I had a relationship I was struggling with and I asked Him for advice, I think He would say:
  • How can you demonstrate that you love Me with everything in you and that you want to love that person to the max?
If a curve ball came my way and I wanted to respond properly, I think He would tell me:
  • What response would come from your deep love for Me and your desire to love others as yourself?
God lets us make decisions, handle difficult relationships, and respond to curve balls.

But if He were to tell us what to do in each of these cases, it would always be grounded on these two principles.

Love the Lord with all your heart and soul and mind and strength.

Love others as yourself.

I believe this is what He would say.

If God were to answer your phone call.



"There is no other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:31

Next post (June 11):  Do You Have a Religious Preference?


Photo by Taylor Grote on Unsplash


Comments

Popular Posts