What God Already Gave

They say everyone should have a dream board. A display of pictures highlighting everything we hope to achieve or plan to own one day.

I'm not going to argue whether dream boards are valuable or pointless. There's a place for dreaming, and we're told to take everything to God in prayer--our hopes, needs, and desires.

But, as I started to make my dream board, I felt like I was creating an idol. Pictures of things I don't have. Wishes God has withheld. Dreams that may or may not be God's will or God-honoring. To me, it seemed to foster a covetous spirit, rather than a joyful reminder of what I hope for.

Elyse Fitzpatrick speaks candidly on this issue in her book, Found in Him.

"Where do you think true happiness comes from? Whatever those things are. . . those are your idols. . . When you turn your eyes away from all that you think you need and look instead at the one who lived and died and rose again and is waiting for you, loving worship will be a natural response." (p. 196)
"Your primary need is not a list of things to do. You need a list of what He's done." (p. 202) 
So I'm making a different dream board. Pictures of gifts God already gave or the plans He has in store for me. I want to remember that God desires to give, He has already given, and He loves me enough to choose wisely.




If you are in Christ, each of these gifts are yours as well.

I'd like to share them with you in a new blog series, entitled "What God Already Gave."

Each post will highlight a blessing or a promise you and I already have in Christ.

Together, let's turn our eyes from what we think we want and let Him surprise and satisfy us with what He already gave.


"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits." Psalm 103:2

What about you? When you think of everything God has given or promised, what is the first thing you find yourself thankful for? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below.


Click Here to receive my free eBook "Seven Days to Praise"


Next Post (October 15): "What God Already Gave: Rest"


Photo by Patrick Fore on Unsplash


Comments

  1. "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with EVERY spiritual blessing in the heavenly places." Ephesians 1:3

    It really doesn't get much better than that, does it? Looking forward to your new series.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts