The Bible Tells Me So

“Jesus Loves Me” was one of my favorite songs as a child. 
It’s still a favorite.

As a child, I just believed the adults were right when they taught us to sing, “The Bible tells me so.”  I just assumed that somewhere in the Bible it must say that Jesus loves me.

Since then, I’ve READ it in the Bible.  Several places.  Several times.

And I sing the song a little differently now.  No longer because someone else told me “Jesus Loves Me.”

The much more enduring, living, authoritative Word of God tells me so.

When Jesus was about to die for sinners, He told His disciples:  “As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you.” (John 15:9)

He loves His followers in the same way the Father loves Him.
·         The Father loves Him so much He called Him His “beloved Son, in whom [He was] well pleased.” 
·         He loved Him “before the foundation of the world” (John 17:24).

(And, incidentally, Jesus also said the FATHER loves us the same way He loves His Son.  See John 17:23.)

Paul was fully persuaded “that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, [take a deep breath; he continues. . . .] nor height, nor depth, nor any other creation shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus, our Lord” (Romans 8:38,39).

·         “The apostle dares to defy the whole universe to separate [the Church] from the love of Christ." -- Spurgeon

Nothing in the universe can do it.

His Cross spelled love.
His suffering and death illustrated unconditional, sacrificial love.
His resurrection ensured unending love.
His promise to prepare a place for us so we could be with Him where He is means He desires us.  Wants us near.  His love will continue into eternity.  It will never change.

He “rests” in His love for us. (Zeph. 3:17)   
He’s silent in His love.  
A love too great for words.

If that silence seems deafening; if He seems to have forgotten . . . it’s impossible. 

He loved us before the foundation of the world; in a way the whole universe can’t take away; a love proclaimed by a death and resurrection and a promise to come again.  An everlasting love.

Yes.  Jesus loves me (and you!).

The Bible tells me so.

Comments

Popular Posts