Prayer isn't Show-and-Tell



“Father, can you fix it?” I prayed.

And I felt like a four-year-old holding out her broken toy to a father who had bigger, more capable hands.



In essence, this is prayer.

Children with a need we feel is the next worse thing than the world coming to an end, holding out that need to a father listening and loving and hearing our request.

Holding out our need to a father capable of fixing it.

As I prayed, I knew my “problem” was nothing to Him; nothing more than a scratch; an easy-fix--even though, to me, it felt unfixable.

But as I held it out to my Father, I discovered I was still holding it.

Still holding it, so holding on to the ache of it being broken, as well.  That ache would go away, if I would allow the unfixable to leave my hands and find safety in the hands of my Father.

In essence, THIS is prayer.

Not just holding out our needs, but letting them go, and leaving them in the hands of Someone absolutely capable of doing something about it.

When our unfixables remain unfixed, maybe it’s because we’re holding them out, but not handing them over.

Prayer isn’t show-and-tell.

Prayer is giving our needs to a God big enough to fix them, while being a Father compassionate enough to care.

“Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7)


[Click here to listen to the Final Review in the series on the Jehovah Names of God.]

Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net

Comments

Popular Posts