When Praising the Lord Seems Hard



September in Portland, Oregon means the Vaux's Swifts are back in town.


Melinda and I waiting for the spectacular show.

Ever since the 80’s, thousands of swifts dive into the chimney of an elementary school in downtown Portland and roost every night for a month on their way to South America.

They roost here for only one month.

Only here in Portland.

And only in the Chapman Elementary School chimney.

Every night, they flock together from their day of foraging all over Portland. They swirl in large groups overhead; then, take their turns diving into the chimney to roost. 


These tiny birds praise their Maker every night of September just by being Vaux’s Swifts.




Psalm 148 commands all of creation to praise its Maker:  Fire, hail, wind, hills, trees.

Near the end of this list, it adds: “flying fowl.”

Very next on the list are “kings of the earth.”

This Psalm leaves no one exempt. No one is too exalted and nothing is too lowly to praise its Maker.

An eleven-centimeter-sized bird praises the Lord just by being a Vaux’s Swift.

“Praise ye the Lord.” (Psalm 148:1)

It isn’t hard.



Comments

  1. I was so happy to see this! I think I'm enjoying the Faux Swifts as much as you are, even from North Carolina. What a marvel of our Creator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to come to Oregon next September and see them in person, Kim! ;-) We do have an amazing Creator!

      Delete
  2. Hi Bethany, I have had your blog saved for a long time...but have only read it a couple of times. Tonight I read it for a long time...back to when you shared you MS story. I learned a lot about you. I would never have guessed you loved softball...much less being on a team. We have something in common (well...beside loving God :D) I am so thankful that Melinda has a friend in you. God is so good....so amazing. I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate you and your friendship with my daughter. May God continue to bless you and use you for His Glory! Diane Morris aka Melinda's Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Diane. I am honored and very grateful to have Melinda for a friend. She has been an inspiration to me often.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts