How to Get There When You Don't Have a Road Map



Have you ever wished that birth certificates came with road maps and that life offered a few more directions along the way?

Life often looks like one giant highway full of bends in the road, four-way stops, and endless freeway with no assurance that you’re going to actually get there.

God doesn't leave us directions, a map, or a voice mail that assures us we’re headed in the right direction.

Maybe because He knows us too well.

 “God doesn’t give us a map because we’d follow the map and not Him.” – Allen Arnold




Our family used to go camping when we were small. One year, when I was six or seven, we hiked up part of Mt. Jefferson.

The snow was deep.  Too deep for my small legs to find their own footing.

Instead, my dad went ahead of me, and all I had to do was step into his giant foot prints.

I was safe as long as he’d already been there, and I knew the way as long as I stayed close behind.

Psalm 85:13 tells us our Heavenly Father “makes His footsteps our pathway.”

He doesn’t hope we’ll find the path.

He makes it for us by going ahead.

We find our way by staying close behind.

Like a child.

Not trusting our steps, but watching for His and stepping into them with full assurance.

He “makes His footsteps our pathway.”

We don’t need a road map to life.

Just childlike faith.


“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will guide you with my eye.” (Psalm 32:8)



Comments

  1. Beautiful picture! "He makes it for us by going ahead. We find our way by staying close behind. Like a child. Not trusting our steps, but watching for His and stepping into them with full assurance. He 'makes His footsteps our pathway.'”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany,

    I love your word picture of stepping into your daddy's snowprints! I can picture that since my son and I did that after a particularly wild snowfall this winter.

    Arnold's line too is thought-provoking :" “God doesn’t give us a map because we’d follow the map and not Him.”

    It's nice to be here again,
    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer. Welcome back! :-) Still learning this truth myself. Childlike faith is a lifetime lesson to learn.

      Thanks for stopping by,
      Bethany

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts